Monday, September 20, 2010

Take Rt. 138 to the Cliff, Then Go Straight


Route 138 is a road I travel quite often, and it runs just 2 miles from where I live.
It goes west into Rhode Island, and I even ride a part of it during my Sunday rock pile rides.
I think that sign needs a cleaning, too.

Had another decent Sunday afternoon Pachaug rock pile ride.
I rate it as only "decent" instead of something like "awesome" because, for the second week in a row, I felt a bit tired and geeky on the bike, and made a few goofy mistakes because I lacked my usual confidence and concentration.
No crashes or close calls, but I just didn't have my usual effectiveness while out there negotiating the terrain.
Hopefully, next time will be back to my usual self.

I had a good time, regardless, and the weather was good for riding - cloudy (which helps me see better), and it was around 70 degrees, which made things comfy.
Seems like it was just yesterday when I was riding until 8:30pm and the temperature was in the mid-90s, but, the Earth has been busy sneeking around the sun and tilting the angle in which the sun's radiation hits the Earth while I've been busy working and riding.
Sneaky, that Earth.
Imagine, that assholes like Al Gore are getting paid BIG bucks for spreading brainwashing lies about the Earth being killed by mankind, where all the time, it's Earth that is the one that's showing me who's boss.
You know, I wonder if maybe one fine Sunday I'll meet Al Gore out there on the trail, where I can then run over his face.
Several times.
A Bridgestone M22 right up his big nose. :)

I've been reading a Norwich Bulletin (local newspaper) article (along with photos) posted on somebody's Photobucket account page, and learned a bit about the Pachaug Enduro Loop's origin.
Seems that back around 1972, some asshole from the state of Connecticut closed the state forests to dirt bike riding.
Local people threw up their arms and took action to let the state assholes know they didn't like that, and these people did what it took (hopefully grabbing some bureaucratic geek by the shirt collar and shaking him real good) to get the state to approve a new trail loop that ran in and around the Pachaug state forest.
It came into being around 1974, and I'm out there riding it on Sundays in 2010.
I believe the route has been modified a bit since '74, but, it's mostly intact as far as I know.
I wonder how much less rocky it was back then.
I know for a fact that it was much less rocky only as far back as 1991, when my buddies and myself would ride it a few times a year.

Back then I even rode the loop on an old 1978 Yamaha DT-250E, a dual-purpose bike that had archaic suspension, even when it first came out in 1978.
The WR-250FY I'm riding there days is about 2,047,396 times better for riding the loop than that old DT-250E, and even then, I do not remember thinking to myself that it seemed as rocky then as it is now.
This, folks, is simply a side effect of a natural phenomenon called erosion, where the top soil becomes loosened-up and is washed downhill by the rains, gradually exposing the rocks below the surface.
Egad, that word erosion, especially done by a guy riding his dirt bike across the ground, would surely work some enviro-nut into a frenzy.
Well, that enviro-nut can kiss my ass, mind his business, and go back to plotting which trees they're going to spike next and which trails they're going to booby trap next, all in the name of "saving the planet" because they're too brainwashed (and stupid) to realize they've been had by crooked liars like Al Gore and his buddies.

Other than that, those guys are OK by me. :)

I really need to buy a new enduro jacket, which I wear out there on the trails, because my old one is ripping apart at the seams after lots of milage.
I'll start shopping for one today at jerk, I guess.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment