Thursday, September 9, 2010

1:26 - Time for Lunch

Just a short one this morning because I wanna' get my ass in gear and ride my WR-250RX to work this morning.
Don't want to roll into the parking lot too late, you know.

About the WR-250R:
It's a good dual-purpose bike, but I can already feel myself - after owning it since June of last year - becoming a bit bored with it.
I've ridden it about 6,800 miles so far, mostly on the street, and I feel that I may be approaching the point of been-there-done-that-what's-next-on-the-motorcycle-list with this bike.
Don't really feel like I want to get rid of it just yet, but, who knows what I'll do between now and next spring.

One thing that I did learn (or, maybe I really mean I've refreshed my memory about something I already knew) from owning this bike and the firebreather WR-250FY at the same time is this:
Dual purpose bikes made by Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki are not as good off-road as their models that are made for off-road use only.
This is a fact, and I wouldn't even want to ride the WR-250RX out in the Pachaug rock pile now that I've got the WR-250FY for that use.
Why?
The chassis of the WR-250FY works so much better off-road, it's no contest, really.
I mean night and day in comparison.

The humorous part of that is whenever I mention this on a motorcycle message board (when somebody asks how the WR-250R stacks-up off-road compared to the off-road-only models), people get all defensive and snippy, trying to tell me I'm all wet and that people actually race WR-250Rs off-road and do well.
Sure.
What's doing well?
Finishing 32nd out of 33 entries?
Just finishing at all?
Just finishing in one piece?
I'll agree with those points.
Main reason for my feelings on this?
It ain't the additional 40-or-so pounds of weight (which is a big factor in itself), but it's the (by comparison) poorly-working and cheap-feeling suspension when things get even a little rough, and out in Pachaug, it can get mighty rough, especially when riding as fast as you dare.
I really wouldn't mind having one of the WR-250R proponents - the ones who feel the bike is every bit as capable as the WR-250FY - show me how that's done, and at what pace over what terrain.

This is nothing new, as the dual-purpose bikes ALWAYS have gotten the cheap treatment in this area.
Always.
The suspension parts just look like the real thing.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment