Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Got 119 Food Stamps


Yesterday, Yamaha Motor Corp., USA announced the 2011 models on their www.yamaha-motor.com website.
Anything that I like?
Well, after a year off in 2010, the WR-250F that I ride is back in the USA lineup (without changes other than new decals), and there's a new 800cc street bike called the FZ8, which looks sporty.
Other than that, nothing that really turns me on enough to start drooling for a new 2011 model.

The bike shown above will be coming to the USA, too, after being sold in the rest of the world last year.
But - and I'm guessing it's probably because Yamaha Motor Corp., USA doesn't feel they can sell a whole lot of them, and doesn't want to be stuck with leftovers unsold on the showrooms and yet would still like to pacify the few who would actually pony-up to buy one (the few out of too many cornballs that claim to want that kind bike of a bike) - this model will only be able to be had on a pre-order basis.
That means if you want one of these, you put down a $500 deposit and get in line with the other two people in the country that will actually buy one. :)
The bike will get here next May, May of 2011.

It's called the Super Tenere, a 1,200cc adventure bike.
Yup, another bike where the ads show a guy riding on the street, down smooth dirt roads, and stopping for several breaks to grab some food and drink at an old-fashioned general store out in the middle of nowhere.
Nice that it's a Yamaha model, but, I just can't get all worked-up to buy one.
It's a street bike in off-road styling in my book.
It's got all kinds of traction control, linked brakes, anti lock brakes, fly-by-wire, and fuel injection electronics on it, too.
I can see the fuel injection, but I want control over the traction and braking, thank you very much.
The bike is at 550-or-so pounds in weight, too.
To me, that's heavy.
OK on the street, but a tank even for smooth dirt roads.
And I mean smooth, like in just-got-done-grading-the-surface smooth.
Throw in some bumps and rocks, and forget it.
You'll be trying not to crash, not enjoying riding the bike.

I realize that for some guys out there, that's right up their alley.
Well, good for them.
I enjoy riding a dirt bike on natural terrain too much for that.
I want to get the feel of a real dirt bike while out there, and be able to perform the maneuvers you can on a light-weight dirt bike with killer suspension and handling.
To me, my current 2008 WR-250R dual-purpose bike is about as much of a street bike as I care to take off-road, and compared to the Super Tenere, the WR-250R is a motocross weapon.

That's my view on bikes like this.
You got one?

Having only a few new models for the new model year shows just how badly the economy is depressed.
Maybe it needs a pill.
Back when things looked good, there could be 5 or 10 new models in a manufacturer's lineup.
Not any more.
Mainly, they're standing pat.
Waiting.
Maintaining what they've got, and slicing off any fat that costs too much.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment