Sunday, September 26, 2010

The McDonalds Drive-Thru Cost Me $144


I didn't take my WR-250FY out for the new fork test ride, yet, because I felt tired after I got home from work/grocery shopping yesterday.
I took a nap on the couch for a few hours, got up, ate, and since it was about 5:00pm by that time, I decided to drive out to the Pachaug rock pile and take another nature boy walk down one of the trails.
That helped to wake me up.

I'll be heading over to the garage and taking the bike out for a spin around here and do some dialing-in before I load it up and head on out to the rock pile this afternoon.
..................................
Edit:
I just came back from my shakedown ride with the Phase 4 forks.
Verdict?
They work as advertised, I'm happy to say.
I turned the compression clicker out a click and the rebound clicker out two clicks to suit me, and so far, I'm satisfied.
.................................................
At first, before I left the garage, I wondered how they'd feel once under way because they felt like they had considerable friction while pushing the forks up and down while at a standstill.
I hoped that this wouldn't be the case once taking the bumps off-road, and, that's how it turned out.
..............................................
The performance of the forks have taken a step closer toward the holy grail of suspension action by being better at absorbing all bumps equally well, from the smallest to the biggest.
My final verdict will have to wait until after today's rock pile ride, but, I'm going into it with confidence.
.............................................
Edit No. 2:
Today's ride on the Pachaug rock pile trails was a good one, I'm happy to say.
The Phase 4 forks on my WR-250FY worked well.
Well enough, in fact, that I found myself going faster in practically all of the sections than I did in the past.
There was even one instance where I told myself to slow down. :)
Many times, I intentionally ran straight over watermelon-sized rocks sticking out of the ground as a test of the fork's performance on sharp hits like that.
They worked very well, and so well with the sharp, sudden bumps (that are all over the place in the rock pile), I was almost in awe of the difference in this area compared to the stock forks.
The forks have an overall firm feel to them, but yet, they absorb those annoying, sharp impacts just fine.
It's a good combination - firm enough so you can feel what the front wheel is running into and over, yet the harshness of the impact doesn't make it to where you hold onto the handlebar.
Just as importantly, the front wheel keeps in good contact with the ground.
This is called traction, people.
Good stuff.
.........................................................
I stopped several times along my loop since I was still experimenting with the damping clickers.
Basically, I now have them set at about where they were on my original forks.
Funny, huh?
One setup change I want to do during the coming week is to lower the fork tube height, which means to raise the front end of the bike a wee bit - probably about 1 millimeter.
This is because the new forks feel like they're riding about a millimeter lower than the stock forks (probably having to do with how they were assembled by whoever did the revalve), and since I liked the stock front-to-rear chassis balance as far as the ride height was concerned, raising the front end will bring that feel back.
Just one stinkin' millimeter?
That's right, Bucky.
It makes a difference to me.
.....................................
All-in-all, I'm glad I bought the new forks.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment