Wednesday, November 24, 2010

View a Pic or Pick Your Nose


This pic is from 1986, and the bike is a 1986 Yamaha TT-225S.

Not all of the bikes I've owned have been classified as firebreathers, that's for sure.
I've owned, ridden, and enjoyed a lot of bikes that were, in all honesty, pretty slow and rather low-tech, some even intended for kids.
The bike in the above pic is one of the low-tech, slow ones.

The TT-225S was, basically, a trail bike, play bike, foo-foo bike, or whatever name you call a bike made for general off-road riding when racing or riding like you're racing isn't required.
It had a 223cc (going by memory) 4-stroke, air-cooled, 2-valve engine that got it's design from the 1981 SR-185H Exciter street bike.
Yes, there was a 185cc street bike.
Everyone seems to have heard of the Honda XR-200R, and this was basically the Yamaha version of that, and it was fun to play on.
The engine design still lives on in today's TW-200 and TT-R230, by the way.

One of the smallest-displacing bikes I've owned and spend a considerable amount of time on was a Yamaha BW-80S, a dirt bike with fat tires made for kids, and this was at least 14 years before the trend of adults or near-adults riding dirt bikes made for kids became the cool thing to do.
I'm actually criticized these days for not giving a big thumbs-up to the idea of buying a Honda CR-F50F or Kawasaki KLX-110 and riding the shit out of it.

That's not really true.

While the fact that I'm a generation older (and more) than most of the riders out there that are into this stuff has much to do with my viewpoint - and back when I was that age, you'd basically have been given a funny look if you went around telling everybody how great it was to play at motocross on your Honda Z-50R - what seems silly to me with this trend is buying one of those bikes, and then spending more than it took to buy the bike in the first place in order to make it good enough to ride on a homemade motocross track without either being bored or breaking the bike.
That's the part that seems silly to me:
Pouring money into a tiny bike to make it seem like something that ain't so tiny, and when I owned and rode my BW-80S (a whole lot, for a couple of years, too), it was stock, other than a one-tooth-smaller front sprocket.
Yup, I sure had a lot of money tied-up in that one. :)

But, on the other hand, there's the old saying of different strokes for different folks.
I just hope I don't have a stroke before tomorrow's over with so that I can go for a ride on my WR-250FY.
Then, bring on the seizures. :)

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment