Thursday, November 11, 2010

190: Another Old Pic I Did Findy


Stay Back is what that rear render sticker says.
If I recall, it was some kind of funny logo from a company that made plastic fenders for dirt bikes, but I can't remember the brand name at the moment.
This is my 1983 Yamaha YZ-125K, and the place is that big gravel bank called Coventry.
Year is 1984.

This pic shows Fox motocross gear from back then.
I wonder if it would be called retro these days.
Back then, it was simply more of the same stuff all the other guys wore.

Look at the gloves.
They're Fox Pawtectors, which were, at the time, their top-of-the-line glove.
The big deal is that they were made with leather on the palms, something that went out of vogue right about then.
Now, all motocross gloves from the big brands are not made with a speck of leather on them.
Basically, today's gloves (at least with the low-end models) are merely cloth, front and back.
Take it from me. :)

The boots were an oddity, even back then.
They're from a company called M. Robert, named after some famous European GP motocross rider from the 1970s, if I'm not mistaken.
They're made out of a sort of semi-flexable plastic, with a hinge at the ankle.
I'd have much rather bought leather motocross boots, but, since I was 18 and had just entered official adultdom, I was on a budget.
That's another way of saying that I was the only one financing my riding, and I felt genuinely fortunate to have a brand-new YZ and riding gear. :)

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment