Saturday, November 13, 2010

Message Boards and Forums Can Be Fun

That is, as long as you don't get your feathers rustled too easily.

This morning, I had a guy from some other country, who owns a 2007 WR-250FW (really the same specification bike as my WR-250FY with different stickers), reply to a question I'd asked pertaining to rejetting the bike's carburetor and removing the parts that are known as the Air Injection System (or AIS).

See, the WR-250FY is sold in an all-corked-up state in order to satisfy ridiculous EPA regulations that have been brought down as law regarding off-road motorcycles over the past 5-or-so years.
Yeah, this totally blatant lie about how mankind is killing the planet just by surviving has snowballed into the completely staged act of Yamaha Motor Co. having to stifle the performance of their top-of-the-line 250cc off-road bike by fitting parts to it that make it run very poorly as it sits on a dealer's showroom floor.
The completely asinine fact of life is that the bikes have their new owners remove every single one of those environmental retard parts so that the bike will run as it was meant to when being designed by the guys that built it.
This includes me, too.
Take that, Al Gore, you lying sack of shit.
Why don't YOU make a hefty donation to some fake save-the-goddamm-planet or feed-the-hungry foundation, huh?
Asshole. :)

Anyway, the AIS parts, as well as some others, need to be removed, the holes left from the AIS parts need to be properly blocked-off, and the carburetor properly modified with the correct parts (guys typically call this "rejetting" or "jetting" the carburetor, because there are important orifices in a carburetor called "jets" that can be swapped for different ones).
There is a little kit that supplied the parts and instructions to do all of this, and it is sold by Yamaha motorcycles dealers (and how ironic is that, huh? You can buy the kit that will allow your new WR-250FY to become a strong-running green planet killer at the same place that sells you the bike in it's eco-friendly and pitifully weak condition).
This kit is called the AIS removal kit.

A guy on a message board, an obvious newbie to dirt bikes, asked a basic question about making his WR-250FV (2006 model) run correctly.
He got a couple of decent and well-meaning replies, but, as is often the case, nobody really hit the nail on the head with their answers.
Instead, the guy got a little pieces of the whole story, and I wouldn't expect somebody not familiar with making dirt bikes effected by Al-Gore-The-Giant-Liar run correctly to get all he needed to know by these little snippets of info.

I came on and basically let the guy know exactly what I did to my WR-250FY in order to make it run like a top, and at the heart of that was this AIS removal kit sold through your local Yamaha dealer.
The guy from another country then responded, saying the AIS removal kit sucks, was a waste of time and money, and that the guy should instead buy a competing brand of jet kit (just the jet kit without any other parts needed to finish the job) and make his own parts to plug-up the holes left by removing the AIS parts from the bike.
Last I knew, this competing jet kit listed for $69 or $79.
The Yamaha AIS kit lists for $47.95 .

Can somebody do the math for me?

Edit:

I went for a Pachaug rock pile ride on the WR-250FY, today, and it was a good one.
I felt a bit down on energy as I drove out there, but while getting gas at the Ghandimart in front of our shop where I park, I decided to roll the dice and ate one of those silly energy bars.
This seemed to make me feel a bit better (or, maybe it was just my imagination, or maybe I'd have felt better anyway, regardless of eating the stupid thing), and once I got to the trails and started riding the whoops that are at the start (and finish, because you take the same trail back to end the loop), I had good energy.

I pulled-off some decent moves on the bike, the bike worked very well, as usual, and it was an enjoyable time, for sure.
Today's weather was a bit warmer than normal for November 13th, with temperature in the 60s, so there were plenty of nature lovers out along the dirt roads in the forest.

Tomorrow, I'm going for another ride, and I'm supposed to be meeting another guy to ride with.
I've never ridden with him before, but I know him as the father of a young fellow who races motocross locally.
These two come into our shop regularly, and he seems like a nice guy.
I'll report tomorrow on the results.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment