Saturday, October 30, 2010

178: Today's Rock Pile Ride Was Great

Before I left for today's ride, I slid the fork tubes up in the clamps about one-half millimeter.
If you are an astute reader of my little blog (and I hope you are), you know that I messed around with the fork tube height a bit in an effort to compensate for my Phase 4 forks that were a millimeter or two shorter in length.

Well, for the last couple of rides, the fork tube height started to feel a bit to low, which makes the front of the bike feel high.
So, I slid the tubes up a teeny-tiny bit, and combined with my fork bleeders allowing me to bleed-off and air pressure build-up before I hit the trail, the front of the bike felt very good, indeed.
Not only did the front ride height feel better and without the too-high feeling it had last ride, but the front fork felt better at absorbing the bumps.

As for my inch narrower handlebar, that felt good right from the start.
I guess the stock width would feel better on a guy an inch wider than me.

All-in-all, the setup I used on my WR-250FY firebreather felt mighty fine.
Win-win all around.

Now, THAT'S my kind of good karma or how I get my chakras off.
Take that, Shirley MacLaine!
I guess I'm just an overly-sensitive ol' motorcycle rider, but, I'm telling you that the difference was definitely noticeable, and for the better, as well. :)

As for the enjoyment of the ride, it was another good one.
No crashes or close calls - just good control of the bike by the rider:
Me.
I did 58 miles, and part of that was that neat-o pine forest whoop section that I like.
I saw several hikers (a couple with big backpacks as if they were crossing the continent), several horse riders (don't know whether or not they were dykes), a few couples walking ol' Rover the dog, one guy hunting who was wearing an orange vest and standing on the edge of the trail with his shootin' iron, and one guy on a Suzuki DR-650ES dual-purpose bike.
The guy on the DR looked familiar and I waved as he passed by me at the very start of the trail.

I plan on going for another one tomorrow, so here's hoping for yet another good one on Halloween. :)
Now, it's time for din-dins.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment