Thursday, October 7, 2010

155: Gimme a Brake


New brake pads are a nice thing to have.
I think my wrist needs a shave.

Well, I got the front tire on my firebreather WR-250FY changed as planned, and the old tire is leaning against the wall, waiting for my ol' buddy to claim it.
I hope it doesn't gather dust from sitting. :)

This morning, I'm a'gonna' change the front brake pads, and the new ones are shown in the above pic.
EBC FA-185R pads from EBC will work just fine and dandy, too, as they're relatively low-cost and perform just fine.

The stock brake pads work just fine, too, but since they're worn down to the half-way point, I think it's time for them to go.
I've found over the years that, after brake pads wear down to this point, they become baked from repeated frictional heat, and having less pad friction material on them allows them to get hot and stay hot more easily, all which causes braking power to go down noticeably.
In other words:
Once they get this worn, I think they're cooked.
So, out you go. :)

Off to work, then jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment