Saturday, January 29, 2011

257: I've Died and Gone to Piece of Shit Heaven


This is a modern bike, but one made to look like one from the 1960s.
That's known as a "retro" bike to guys that like them.
To me, it's merely producing a bike for the geeks that will buy them in order for the company selling them to finance and produce the good ones. :)

I read stories written on motorcycle websites that basically end-up as being a way of advertising for companies selling products and/or services.
The story can be about the bike pictured above, telling the reader details about it and giving the reader the opportunity to write and post comments about it.
Personally, the pic above makes me sick because that's not what a motorcycle is to me.
I see something that is impersonating a relic from 1962.
I'm amazed at the number of riders (I assume they ride a motorcycle) writing comments, telling how much they like what they see, envisioning themselves polishing the paint on the fenders.

I have the opposite view.
I started riding motorcycles on a bike that was, at the time, a relic that nobody interested in riding a motorcycle with performance would have wanted for free.
When I'd eventually earned the money to buy a modern bike with modern performance, I was in heaven, and I had no problem whatsoever leaving my old bike behind.

That's still my basic view on bikes that are either genuinely old, or new ones designed to look like the old ones.
I don't understand or have good feelings about why guys will pay outrageous money for the very same bike I couldn't wait to graduate from back on the olden daze.
To me, they must have a lot of spare money simply burning a hole in their pockets, because the bikes, themselves, have no redeeming qualities as far as actually riding them.

Off to another freebee Saturday morning at jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment