Sunday, January 16, 2011

246: On Your Guard!


The WR-250XX is now sporting a pair of these nifty handguards which came from another Yamaha model, an off-road bike called the 1999 TT-R250L.
These are perfect for blocking the wind - something to consider in March and early April - as well as small branches and roost, although the latter two won't be a bother since this bike stays on the street. :)

Lots of guys think these hand guards are a waste of time because to them, you must use the type that are basically metal bash bars that surround the handlebar grip.
I never liked those from the first time I tried them.
Why?
The bash bar type of handguard attaches to the bike at two points:
Clamping to the outside of the handlebar tubing on one side and sticking into the hollow handlebar tubing on the other side.
The side that sticks into the handlebar gets in my way because I often have the edge of the palm of my hand sliding over there, and it's an annoyance.
As a bonus, I think they're awfully ugly.
Fugly, even.

Well, as far as work that I intend to get done to the WR-250XX goes, I'm basically 90% done with it.
In fact, I can think of only a few minor jobs left to do, like bleed both brakes, change the coolant, make sure the spring preload on the rear shock is adjusted to suit my weight, and give the air filter a fresh service before I hit the road with it.
Yes, it's practically finished, just 6 weeks after buying it and bringing it home.
Not bad, considering that buying the bike in the first place was a total spur-of-the-moment decision made when one of the guys at work told me we'd taken the bike in on trade.
So now, I can kick back on the couch and take a long, hard look at the bike I'll be riding as my main transportation for the coming year.
It looks like a whole lotta' fun. :)

I wonder how I did in this week's Supercross pool at jerk.
Guess I'll find out after today's broadcast on Speed TV, a repeat of last night's race from Phoenix, AZ.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment