Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sporty Spice: "I've Got 73 Brain Cells Left!"


Hmmmm.
I think somebody hit their head one time too many.


I got an official-looking letter (maybe I should call it a document and sound really snooty) in the mail, sent to me by my town's first selectman.
This is about the situation we have here about water running down the road in winter and spring in front of where I live.
The water seeps out of the ground due to a natural spring that's been there for who-knows-how-long.
It runs across the road, freezes, and makes the town trucks sand it practically every morning during the cold months.
The document basically tells me to go to the Town Hall, sign zee papers, and give the town permission to modify the edge of the road and the edge of my property (which boarders the road) so that they may correct the water-running-across-the-road problem.

I'd already been to the Town Hall about three weeks ago, talking about this very subject with a lady who'd left a phone message for me, letting me know that they needed my permission for what they call a "temporary easement", AKA doing work to the area where my property meets the road.
I went down there and told them that I had no problem with them doing whatever they had to do, especially since the area where they want to do this work is uphill of my driveway a ways and not used by me at all.

While I was there, I said that this whole situation was caused from when the road was resurfaced a few years ago, when the crown of the road (curvature of the road surface) was basically reduced to the point that water now runs right across from one side of the road to the other.
Before the resurface job, any water coming out of that spring simply stood on that side of the road, ran down the side, and into the drainage gutter.

The funny thing was that the lady's reaction was as if she wasn't even aware of that point.
Even funnier, I think it's amazing if the case really is that nobody involved with the road's resurfacing saw this coming.
My guess is that at least somebody knew this would happen, but either said nothing, or did say something but was overruled (told to shut up).

I mean, that spring has been dumping water onto the road ever since I can remember, and I've been living on this hill for my entire life.
Only now, after the road was changed, has it become a problem for somebody.
Damn city slickers. :)

I'm going over to the garage to ready my WR-250FY for this evening's ride.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment