Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Freedom '76: Dick Nixon...Before He Dicks You


I watched the infamous Watergate hearings on TV and remember wondering what had gone wrong with some gate holding back the water, somewhere.
...................................................................................
I got a call from the town First Selectman yesterday, and tomorrow morning at 8:00am, I'm to meet with her and get a (hopfully) satisfactory translation as to what my official-looking document really means.
I wonder if she'd rather be called the First Selectperson.
......................................................
I ordered and yesterday received my new motocross/dirt bike boots:
Sidi Crossfire TAs in black.
Awesome-feeling boot, and I was in heaven when I tried them on.
Felt as snug as a bug in a rug, even better than the Sidi Vortex boots I'm wearing right now when I ride.
.......................................................................................
Why new boots?
Nothing lasts forever, and it's typical that I'll get a year-or-so out of a pair of boots.
Specifically, the boots I use now have a plastic guard sewn on the inside of the ankle area, and this guard, after being bent and flexed a million times, is coming unsewn and sometimes catches on my WR-250FY frame above the footpegs.
Otherwise, they're still in good shape, but the writing's on the wall:
Get a new pair for off-road use, and use the older ones for street use on the WR-250RX.
When I buy them this Saturday and bring them home, I'll post a pic.
I think I'll nickname them the Sidi Crossfire T and A.
You know what that means, don'cha?
Oooohh, I'm a bad boy. :)
.......................................................
Switching gears...
I have to get a chuckle whenever I read about guys riding those so-called "adventure bikes" off-road.
Do you know what these adventure bikes are?
They are motorcycles that are basically street bikes - with all of the weight and size of a street bike from their large engines and large frames along with street tires - that are being sales pitched to riders as something that can be ridden off-road as well as on the street.
............................................................
To me, this is comical.
The only thing dirt bike about these tanks is the styling, and even that isn't like your typical dirt bike, but more like the land barges that are ridden in desert rallies like the old Paris to Dakar.
They've even got low-hanging exhaust pipes on them and exposed engine crankcases just waiting to take a rock.
.......................................................................
I've written a few posts on message boards about these bikes, asking if riders out there really think of them as dirt-worthy bikes.
This was basically done as an experiment to see what kind of answers I'd get.
And, sure enough, there are guys who'll insist on riding these bikes well off the paved road, and then write about how the front suspension ain't too good over bumps off road.
Well, that's because it barely works well enough to get you buy on the much smoother paved road, Bucky, never mind the 100-plus pound weight penalty over a bike truly intended for that stuff.
................................................................
The most offensive thing about these "adventure bikes" is the marketing pitch used that created this stupid adventure bike category in the first place.
To me, it would highly annoying if I had to sit down and listen to some sales guru try to convince me to buy one of these, or even to just like them.
This is because the marketing people are simply lying to everyone by implying they should get anywhere near an off-road riding area.
It's just another snake-oil-salesman technique to sell more bikes.
I know I'm not alone - any of the guys I rode with back in the day would say the same thing:
Off-road bike?
I don't think so.
My opinion is that anybody falling for this shit is either a newbie or a serious geek.
Hmmmmmmm.
Maybe Mr. Serious Geek has one.
I'd like for him to crack his crankcase on a big rock out in the middle of nowhere. :)
........................................................
Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment