Saturday, June 5, 2010

Keeping Up with the Joneses

I don't remember giving you readers my full name, yet, so here it is:

John Kuzmenko.
John Aaron Kuzmenko.
If I leave out the middle name, it can be John Kuzmenko lll, since my dad and his dad were named John.
Here's why I'm giving my name:

Even though it's been around since the olden days of 2004 (or so I have read), I've finally joined yet another Internet social network called Facebook.
I don't know how to use it and navigate it very well at this second in time, but I'll learn it before long.
Having a decent brain is good for those kinds of things, you know.

See, ever since I first pushed a key on my own PC, I've been a member of AOL, still using them for my main Email box as well as using their AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) every day (and my AIM user name is YZFR6N).
Well, for some reason I'm not sure of, the AIM program I have downloaded on my PC suddenly quit connecting to the Internet when I wanted to sign on.
That means for the time being, I'm using another version of AIM called AIM Express, one that doesn't require a program to be loaded into your PC.
It's better than not having it at all, but what sucks about it is that when opening some websites, I'll get knocked off of the AIM Express and have to sign in, again.

I've been doing this for about a month, and every time I sign in with AIM Express, I'm also looking at a big blue button coaxing me to join Facebook.
Blue seems to be their color of choice since I see a lot of blue around there.
I wonder how many high-level meetings it took to decide on that one.
Anyway, since I'd been asked to join it by some of my friends over the last few years (and I was feeling a bit bored before bed last night), I held my breath and joined Facebook.
Funny.
I don't feel any different.

Naturally, once I finished submitting my information to sign-up with Facebook, those invites to join over the years were still there, so I naturally said yes to the people I recognized.
Saw plenty of my relatives on there, too, both blood relatives and non-blood relatives (like in-laws).
I also saw plenty of ones from names I don't recognize, and I wonder how many of those are acquaintances from Internet message boards or from buying or selling stuff over the Internet.
Time will tell.

So, it's off to jerk for another freebie Saturday (I'm not salaried for Saturdays, but it's done to catch-up on stuff that I can't do during the week).
I'll probably post another one tonight, too.

-John

2 comments:

  1. If you start to add friends and game posts drive you nuts, you can get rid of them by hovering the mouse in the upper right hand corner of the message. The word "hide" should appear, and when you click it, you have a choice to hide the user or hide that application. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip, Zola. :)

    ReplyDelete