Thursday, December 9, 2010

Time to Get Used to Feeling Cold

Even though we're in December, and the official start of winter is in 12 days, the weather we've been having for the past week is a bit below normal in temperature.
They call this a cold snap.
I don't know what's so snappy about it, and I wish it would make things snappy and get the heck out of here.

The older I get, and with each passing year, I like the cold less and less.
My hands often feel cold, I wear my winter beanie hat a lot (even inside), and I just feel uncomfortable.
Putting up with that for months sucks.
Not to mention missing riding my motorcycles with good weather and good ground conditions.
Last winter, I did a fair bit of riding the WR-250FY out on a local frozen pond with ice screws screwed into the tires.
The way I feel about it right this very minute, I'll be surprised if I decide to do that this winter.
Time will tell.
Stay tuned.

I still have yet to bring my WR-250XX up into the house and start my planned winter maintenance and modifications.
I should do it this Saturday toward sunset, as I just may take it out on the streets for one last ride.
The forecast is for a high of 42 degrees, which will feel almost like a heat wave compared to 32 degrees.
I just may bring the WR-250FY up into the house, too, as there's some winter maintenance I want to do to that bike, as well.

On both bikes, for instance, the rear shock absorbers are being removed and sent out to different suspension shops.
The WR-250XX shock is going to a place called Go Race Suspension, down in Virginia.
This place is run by a guy named Travis, who claims to know how to turn the WR-250XX (and WR-250RX) suspension from budget performers (pretty poor compared to the WR-250F) into good performers.
Some riders on the WR-250R/X forum have had Travis do his work to their forks and shocks, and they say it is excellent.
I decided within the first 2 miles of riding the WR-250XX that the rear shock is a pogo stick and simply feels very cheap, so, the money spent to make it good will be money well spent.

The WR-250FY needs no such work to improve the performance, but simply a service that's required every so often to maintain that excellent performance it has.
I'm going to sent this shock to either Race Tech in California (who I've used in the past with other bikes) or a place called Factory Connection up in New Hampshire.
Both places are reputable.
The New Hampshire location may win out do to close proximity.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment