Sunday, December 5, 2010

214: Born to Ride (in Warmer Weather)

Wintry cold weather is here, folks.
Right now, it's in the low-to-mid 20s, and it is forecast for a high of 36.
That's just average winter weather, but, it's cold enough for me at middle age. ;)

I decided to take the WR-250XX for it's maiden voyage yesterday after I did what I consider the minimum checking and work required before pronouncing a new/used bike road worthy.
I changed the oil and oil filter, serviced the air filter, checked tire pressure, lubed the clutch cable, adjusted throttle cable free play, bled air out of the forks, lubed the drive chain and checked it's free play, cleaned the brake rotors, checked the brake pads, and, basically, gave it a scrutineering eyeballing.

Everything is rock-solid, I'm happy to say.
I'll probably take it out for another ride, do another oil change to help rinse out the remains of the old oil that was in there when I took delivery, and then wheel it up into the house, here, and gradually do my planned winter maintenance and modifications.
While wintertime sucks in my opinion, wrenching on the bike and having an eye on the first ride of the 2011 back-and-forth-to-jerk-with-a-side-trip-here-and-there riding season through the winter will help pass the time.

To be honest, it doesn't look like I'll decide to ride the WR-250FY in Pachaug today.
While the weather ain't Admiral Byrd South Pole cold, it's cold enough to knock the wind out of my sails, and I don't even like sailing.
As I get older, I seem to prefer warmer weather.
While riding off-road, especially when it requires loading the bike up and driving out to the riding spot, I prefer the temperature to be in the mid-40s, at least.
Sure, I could decide to ride at 36 degrees, but, would I actually enjoy it?
Only a few more hours time will tell what I decide to do.
Either way, I'm riding something, today. ;)

Maybe, I'll compromise and decide to take the WR-250XX out on the Pachaug dirt roads.
These are very smooth (compared to the actual motorcycle trails) dirt roads that you can drive your typical car down, so maybe riding the WR-250XX with it's smooth street tires will provide enough kicks to make it seem worth while.
We'll see how I decide.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment