Sunday, August 22, 2010

I Hit 108 MPH on my Skateboard

Went for a ride with my ol' buddy yesterday.
Left the house at about 3:15pm, and got home about 8:45pm.
Not a bad day as far as time and milage went, meaning that as long as I'm having a good time, the more, the better. :)

We stood down around his old stomping grounds (areas that he knows well because he grew up there), and I basically told him to go where he felt like as fast as he wanted.
We rode at a decent clip (speed) but nothing that scared the shit out of me, I gotta' admit, and any spikes of adrenaline that shot through my veins for a second or two came from not knowing the roads at all, not from sheer speed or daring.
All-in-all, I rate the day's ride a 7 out of 10.
Not too shabby, and it was worth the while.

Next time, though, I'm going to suggest a change of pace.
Instead of doing what I usually do when one of my ol' riding buddies calls to get me to go along for a ride (go and ride his roads with him leading), I'm gonna' say that we should let me lead and we'll stay in the areas that I know.
Fair is fair, I say, and I haven't done that in too long, it feels to me.

On another note in motorcycling, it's raining this morning, and it's forecast to basically be a rainy day.
That's a bummer because it means that if I go on my usual Sunday Pachaug rock pile ride (and I will as long as it doesn't rain hard at departure time), the pace and route will be reduced and changed a bit, all in the interest of self-preservation.
Basically, the wet rocks and tree roots sticking out of the ground get slippery, and losing the front end (having the front wheel slide out from under you just when you need traction) can mean you go down in a hurry while at speed.

The macho men out there will scoff at that notion, saying, "Well, you just gotta' make sure you don't do that, you wimp..."
Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you never made that one-in-a-million mistake, right, pal?
Go watch some cartoons while eating your Coco Puffs, OK?

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment