Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Got a 105 Big Bore Kit for My Weed Wacker


Is it a street bike that looks like a funny dirt bike, or a heavy dirt bike that looks like a Gold Wing?
You decide.


I couldn't imagine myself having fun on the bike in the above pic.
No, that's a bike for geeks.
The one thing missing from that pic is the 6-inch-thick seat pad for the rider's little bum-bum so it doesn't get blistered from sitting down in one spot for hours at a time.
Is the guy a refugee running from the long arm of the law, or something?
The only other thing missing is the kitchen sink.
Truly disgusting.

Some guys do think this is a great way to ride off-road, though.
I think that these days, they're known as "adventure riders".
The term adventure riders came from this relatively new marketing term used to categorize (and sell, which is the whole point) these obscenely heavy "dual-purpose bikes", and I put that in quotes because bikes like the one in the above pic are, to me, really street bikes.
They're street bikes with a bit more ground clearance and a bit more suspension travel, but with still a whole lotta' weight.
I couldn't imagine actually getting the bike in the pic to turn well off-road without making the front wheel plow straight ahead, and probably would, in a lot of instances, assist turning by pulling in the clutch lever, hitting the rear brake pedal, and skidding the rear wheel around to finish the job.
A garbage scow like that would require it, unless you had as much room as a football field.

But, that's probably when the rider, complete with his WD-40 pocket protector full of pens, would say, "Well, I'm not out here racing. I'm just out here on an adventure trip. I have two weeks in va-ca time saved up from working at Geektronics in Semi Valley, so I've been chomping at the bit to get my awesome KLR out here to do some real adventure riding...blah, blah, blah..."

I need to run and get a barf bag after hearing that shit.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment