Tuesday, May 11, 2010

An Introduction to...Me


Motorsports Nation - Your Source of Motorcycling Elation







Are those peace signs, or am I telling you how many attemps it took to get this pic right?




It's not easy being me.
I don't think that many people would want the job.
There's a lot involved with keeping myself going, what with all of the breathing, eating, and, of course, fingernail clipping.
But, in spite of all that, I somehow ended up with it, so here I am.

I'm John, and what I'm gonna' do is start my very own blog on what I encounter in my daily routine, from the miniscule to the important, and from the serious to the well worn-out joke.

Just what does the word blog mean, anyway?
Is it a variation on the word log?
Kinda' like a captain's log?
Why didn't they just call it an E-log.
Or maybe an I-log.
This is done via the Internet, right?

Blog.
Sounds like an adjective used to describe what you might do while loafing around:
"Yeah, I just kicked back and blogged around the house all day."
Sounds good, no?
I think I'll apply for a patent. :)

Anyway, I'm big into motorcycles.
Always have been.
I bought my first when I was 15.
Yup, had to buy it myself because my dad always used the excuse of there not being any money for that kind of stuff...beside his aluminum John boat for bass fishing and his golf clubs, naturally. :)

The bike behind me in the second pic is a 2008 Yamaha WR-250R, and neat-o dual-purpose bike.
What's a dual-purpose bike?
Well, if you're a person younger than myself, it's what you've always known them to be called dual-sport motorcycles, a name I don't particularly care for.
You see, that term "dual-sport" is a new tag dreamt-up by some marketing whizz kid with his eye on the prize.
It's supposed to go along with a lot of the other new age jingles that have that word "sport" in it, and all this whizz-kid did, as far as I'm concerned, was step into a steaming-hot cow pattie out on the big ol' prairie of motorcycling advertizing and marketing.
It sucks.

Anyway, a dual-purpose bike is one that can be ridden both on the road and off the road.
It serves two purposes.
Dual purposes.
See how elegant that is?
And, the WR-250R is quite a blast to ride on the street.
I do that quite a bit because I don't drive my Ford Ranger too much during the warm months like we're in now.
I'll go into this bike (and my other, a 2009 Yamaha WR-250F) in much finer detail in the posts to come, but for now, it's time to put on my gear and head on into work.

I actually work at a motorcycle shop, as luck would have it, and I've been doing this kind of work for quite a while, now.
In my next post, I'll show you around a bit on the inside of the place, as well as (hopefully) learn how to layout my pics and captions much better. :)

Cio,
-John

4 comments:

  1. I think blog is the short version of "web log".

    Great start, I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahh.
    I should have known.
    Thanky. :)
    Yes! Please read every word I write, too!

    ReplyDelete