Sunday, March 13, 2011

Winter Seemed Like it Was 280 Days Long


WR-250XX outside in actual daylight.
Golly.

Took the bike out both yesterday and today (Saturday and Sunday), and they were decent rides.
I think yesterday was a bit better because the weather was a little bit warmer, to be honest, but today wasn't too bad, either.
It felt very good to finally have a chance to see how the WR-250XX performed after doing the modifications over the winter.

The verdict:
Excellently.

Plenty of power, plenty of front brake (although that is 100% stock), good throttle response, the gearing is spot-on as far as I can tell, and the rear shock is mucho better than it was.
It's a great-handling, relatively light-weight sporty little bike, and I'm really looking forward to many a' sporty miles in the saddle this year.
The bike felt very good.

I still have a few things to take care of.
I'll be ordering a stock flasher relay because the I.C. relay I bought (off a forum member) doesn't let the flasher lamps flash at all.
The whole idea behind this I.C. relay was to slow down the flash rate of the LED flasher lights (the stock lights aren't LEDs), but if they won't flash at all, I'd rather have another stock relay in there, even if they will flash faster than normal.
Too bad I hacked apart the stock relay in order to steal the plug out of it when installing the I.C. relay.
Oh, well.
At least it will only cost me $14.

I'll also be ordering a little electronic gizmo that will correct the speedometer error I now have with the big 49-tooth rear sprocket.
See, the speedometer signal comes off the transmission, and if you change the gearing, that changes to speedometer calibration, and right now, it reads too fast.

Third, I've got some nice, new Michelin Pilot Power tires waiting to go on, and I'll be doing that before too much longer since the rear tire is down to the wear bars in spots.
These Bridgestone BT090 tires the bike came with have deep wear bars, so while they're not going bald as I write this, but they won't last forever, either.
Probably will happen next month.

All-in-all, it was a sucessful first weekend out on the bike. :)

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment