Sunday, March 20, 2011

283: Spring is Here, So Riding for Me


Although I mentioned it before, I'll mention it again:
It feels very good to have the WR-250XX outside and actually being ridden. :)

Spring officially starts today, and I made sure I got the bike out for some enjoyment on it.
It's a good-handling bike with a great little engine and a great front brake.
Once I get the new tires installed (which I have waiting inside the house), it should feel even better since the rear tire has a flat spot worn down the center of it.
That's the result of lots of straight up riding and not much cornering, so it seems the previous owners were into stylin' in front of the local Dairy Queen trying to pick-up 15-year-olds. :)

You know, in a way, it's surprising that I have a 250cc, single-cylindered street bike and really am satisfied with it.
I wasn't all that long ago that I rode 1,000cc sport bikes because I liked the power, and back then, I'd probably have laughed at the thought of using a 250 as my sport bike.
Well, here I am, on a 250 and glad to be.
It's definitely a case of having just enough power, yet being able to use it all, versus metering out the power in small, controlled doses when on a 1,000.
If you're stupid enough to believe you're going to be using all of the performance of a bike like a Yamaha YZF-R1 a lot of the time on the street, you've got another thing coming.
Something like a casket made just for you, Speed Racer. ;)

No, that's not how it's done if you expect to live long, although jackasses do try.
Oh, I sure enjoyed my YZF-R1s and FZ-1s, but you need to know restraint and control on a bigger bike like those.
It's a different ball game with the WR-250XX, where you can open the throttle fully much more often and feel good doing it.
It feels good, and once the weather improves to the point where it's routinely in the 60s and the new Michelin Pilot Powers are fitted, things will be rollin'.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment