Saturday, October 29, 2011

341: Monthly Payments Ain't Fun

But, unfortunately, sometime they seem necessary.

What the title and first line refer to is my big news for the past week:
My trusty and clammy 2004 Ford Ranger is no more because I got hit by a young guy pulling out of his driveway on the way home from jerk this past Tuesday afternoon.
Yup, that's right.
I was simply driving down the street, approached a driveway on my right side, saw a car creeping forward toward the end of the driveway, and as I was nearly past it, the guy pulled out into the road and hit the rear of my former truck.
Yeah, he simply pulled out into me without stopping and allowing me to pass.

The rear of the truck spun to the left, pointed me toward the guy's front lawn toward my right, the front tires dug in, and the truck rolled over one complete time, landing on it's wheels, pointing in the opposite direction that I'd been traveling.
The truck looks like a mess, and I expect the insurance company to total it.
We will see what they say.

In the mean time, I needed something else to drive my ass around in, so, after being disgusted with the used vehicles I'd seen in ads, I broke down and just walked over to the local Ford dealer that's next door to jerk yesterday afternoon, signed zee papers, and drove a new 2011 Ranger off the lot.
It's very much like my 2004 crumpled one, with these differences:

*It's white instead of black.
*It has a larger cab with some room behind the seats for some cargo like groceries and riding gear.
*It has air conditioning, not that I wanted that option, but it was what they had on the lot.
*It has fancier-looking wheels, though they're still stamped out of steel and painted silver.
*Some of the control knobs on the dash are shaped a bit different, though they're in the same spot.
*If I remember from reading the features on the Ford website, it has some kind of electronic driving "aid" that kicks in if the sensors sense a loss of traction while cornering and/or braking, supposedly to help the truck stay on the road.
I don't know the details, but I'm not surprised it has something like this in 2011.
*It is not paid for like my other one was.

Time to get used to making monthly payments once again.

Not sure if the unseasonable weather this weekend will allow a decent Pachaug rock pile ride on the WR-250FY.
I hope so, as I'm mounting two new tires.
I'm using the trusted M23 on the front, and as an experiment, I'm using a Bridgestone M603 on the rear, an intermediate/hard terrain tire.
The M22 I usually use is a hard terrain tire, and I'm wondering if this M603 will trade a bit of hard terrain prowess for a bit better feel in the soft and mushy stuff.
In all honesty, I'm expecting to feel that it won't be worth it knowing that I've never tried something better in overall feel as the M22/M23, but, I want to at least give it a whirl out of sheer curiosity.
I'll let you know the results after I try it.

Off to jerk for a freebee Saturday morning,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment