Sunday, April 10, 2011

Feel the Power


Power as in Michelin Pilot Power tires. Hey, I didn't think of the name for them. ;) I mounted these tires onto the WR-250XX yesterday, and I can now feel it in my lower back as proof. I must have reached middle age, not to be confused with the Middle Ages. :) How do they work? Excellently, actually. Most excellently. They simply grip the road much better, and you can literally feel how much better while riding the bike. The bike corners, changes direction, and even stops noticeably better. As an added bonus, the tires are more compliant to the bumps in the road, absorbs them better, and this goes a long way to keeping traction. Not surprisingly, I'll need to lower the front end of the bike by raising the height of the fork tubes a few millimeters, something I could feel on my maiden voyage with the new tires yesterday afternoon. This is due to the new Michelins being shaped a bit differently than the original (and well-worn) Bridgestone BT090 tires, and now the front of the bike feels a few millimeters higher than it used to be, something that has a negative effect on handling feel. An easy adjustment that will compensate. It's all about feel. :) So, basically, the way the bike sits right now is probably how I will keep it for the rest of the season. That is very good, indeed. :) -John

No comments:

Post a Comment