Sunday, April 3, 2011

290 Miles of Great Riding


Well, I didn't ride quite that many miles this weekend, but I did ride the WR-250XX and it was fun. Today (Sunday), especially, was good because the weather was better and I felt better, and that makes things just better. See? Also, the WR-250XX was working as fine as ever, handling as fine as ever, revving it's little heart out as fine ever, the great front brake was hauling the bike down from speed when asked to as fine as ever, and the overhauled rear shock was keeping the rear tire in contact with the road as fine as ever. So, things went fine. I hear guys from time-to-time saying that riding a little, single-cylindered 250 as a street bike would be far too slow, underpowered, etc. Not that many years ago, I'd be saying the same thing, having had more than a few much larger sportbikes that had more than enough power. However, I'm having at least as much fun riding this little WR-250XX as any of the other 600, 750, or 1,000cc sport bikes I've owned. In fact, dare I say more fun at times. Why is this? Well, I think it is simply a case of my tastes maturing, and my realizing that it can be awfully fun and entertaining to have just enough power and being able to use it all versus having more than you can use on the street and metering it out in small, controlled doses. I know I've written words very much like that recently, but you know what? It's very true, and pretty much reflects how I'm feeling about my street riding these days. I'll always have an appreciation for a high-performance bike with plenty o' balls on tap, but this WR-250XX simply feels and works so well, I can't help but have fun with it. I can only imagine how good it will feel once I mount those new Michelin Pilot Power tires, something I really need to do before next weekend's ride because the rear is just about as smooth as a baby's ass. :) -John

1 comment:

  1. This website gets a big boo from me because all of a sudden, the paragraphs are all smushed into a 2nd grade-style mess. :)

    ReplyDelete