Monday, November 7, 2011

343: More Riding for Me


WR-250FY oil change on the house.
Or, in it, in fact.


I have to laugh to myself (because these comments don't merit doing it out loud) when a rider says (more like bitching, pissing, and moaning) that a modern off-road bike like my WR-250FY is "too maintenance-intensive".
Whenever I read that, I know that I'm either reading the writing of a complete lazy slob, a newbie who doesn't know his ass from his elbow and is just repeating what he heard from some other freak who doesn't know jack shit, himself, or simply some Internet troublemaker who thinks he's being funny and witty, while he's actually a retard, himself.

You see, folks, there are people out there that treat doing what is shown in the above pic as a Great, Giant Pain In The Ass.
That was capitalized because that's how much importance they place on that feeling.
Yup, a simple engine oil change is enough to make these guys moan about having to pick up a wrench and do some work to the bike.
What's even worst (for them) is that an engine like the one I have has two places where the oil is drained from.
These guys will make that sound like it makes the task twice as hard.
Really.
Funny, because the two drain plugs are about 5 inches apart.
However, you do have to remove three bolts and remove the skid plate.
Geezzzz, that does sound like a big job, after all.
If you're a moron. ;)

You see, these guys are under some kind of illusion (delusion, more like) that a bike like my former WR-250R (the dual-purpose bike I owned from June of 2009 until September of 2010), because it has written in the Owner's Manual under the street-orientated scheduled maintenance chart, that buying a WR-250R (or other Japanese dual-purpose bike) basically frees them from lifting a wrench to do things like an engine oil change.
They're kidding themselves with this because since the chart in the manual lists a recommended oil change every 3,000 miles, they believe you don't have to change the oil until 3,000 miles, no matter what.

Wrong.
They are ignoring one little disclaimer put in that manual.
It's the one that says to do things like an oil change and air filter servicing "more frequently in wet or dusty conditions".
They make it sound like they never read that part, because wet and dusty conditions = off-road riding, Lenny.
You see, that maintenance chart is for street riding, not off-road riding, and I also believe it's so lax so they won't scare away the typical off-road newbie that often buys a dual-purpose bike.

So, basically, they ride around off-road on their bikes in a (false, I believe) sense of security believing they can go and do whatever they want without even touching the bike for a month, or two, or three, and they will often brag about it and state that other bikes are way, way too maintenance-intensive.
I'd just love to see how black-as-the-ace-of-spades that oil looks when they finally drain it.

The Owner's Service Manual for my WR-250FY is written with off-road use in mind, and if one of these guys were to read it, they'd probably pass out when they read the part about servicing the air filter after each ride and changing the oil after 600 miles.
That's the recommendation if you were to do some hearty off-road riding, such as actually racing the bike.
These fools are so brainwashed, they actually believe they could race their WR-250R in an off-road race (which, in my experience with the bike, would not feel very good at all) and still not do an oil change until 3,000 miles passed.
These are the guys who also have their swingarm pivot shaft rusted in place when they are finally forced to take the rear suspension apart to replace worn-out parts (that they never maintained in the first place because they're on a bike that is practically maintenance-free in their minds).
The joke is on them.

Turning back to something like reality...

I rode the highly maintenance-intensive WR-250FY out on the ol' Pachaug enduro loop both days this past weekend, and they were good.
Saturday started a bit chilly (although it was decent by the mid-way point), so Sunday felt like the better day of the two.
On Sunday, I also rode with a guy named Stanley, a guy a never rode with before although I've talked with him countless times while at jerk.
He rode a well-used 1996 Honda CR-250R with a (supposedly) legit license plate on the back.
That's something you don't see every day, as a CR-250R is a bona-fide 2-stroke motocross bike.
He rode the trials just fine, and as far as I know, he had no bad incidents.
We both enjoyed the 52 miles out there - I know I had fun.
Hmmmmm.
I wonder how such a high-maintenance bike made the whole loop. ;)

I also tried a different rear tire, just out of sheer curiosity:
A Bridgestone M603.
This is listed as an intermediate/hard terrain tire, where my usual M22 is a hard terrain tire, period.
The verdict?
Basically, it feels like I assumed it would - trading away some hard terrain feel and grip for some softer terrain grip.
It's not a bad tire, but, I still feel the ol' M22 is a better tire for the Pachaug loop because there is so much hard terrain out there, and, more often than not, the M22 feels more solidly hooked-up to the ground.
So, once this M603 wears out, I'll put the usual M22 back on, even though I wonder if I'll be doing that this year since the off-road season is winding down. :(

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment