Sunday, November 13, 2011

344: New Wheels in the House


This is a 2009 Honda CR-F450X, designated CR-F450X9.
Basically, it's the 450cc Honda version of my WR-250FY - an off-road bike based on the company's motocross bike.
This pic is just after I unloaded it from the truck when I brought it home this Friday.
It was a bit grubby, but otherwise in very good contition.
Most would say it was in excellent condition, but, I'm not so easily impressed. ;)





As is always the case whan I buy a new (or used) motorcycle, it gets a super cleaning and a teardown and thorough lube and inspection.


That way, I know it's health status, as well as truly make it mine.


I also degoober the bike, which means correct any goobery things done by the previous owner or remove aftermarket parts he put on that I don't like.




That's more like it.


Clean, lubed, and tended to just as if it were heading out for a ride.


And I would have taken it for a ride, too, if I hadn't spent the weekend working on it. ;)




OK, so I got another dirt bike.


Why, and why this one?


Well, folks, I'd been keeping an eye out for a Yamaha WR-450F to come across my path, but, basically, this one showed-up first.


This is the Honda model that competes for consumers' dollars with the Yamaha WR-450F on the showrooms.


It's the 2009 CR-F450X, an off-road bike based on their CR-F450R motocross bike.


Thank God, I realized as I was cleaning it and lubing it that's really in excellent condition.


Well, it's in excellent condition now that I've done that work.




So, why do I need another dirt bike when I already have a very nice Yamaha WR-250FY?


Well, this Honda will be my dual-purpose bike.


That means, my dedicated back-and-forth to work and some trail riding after work or maybe some exploration riding bike.


In other words, it's the bike I'll use for getting around on the street as well as off-road riding.


That way, I can ride a bike on the street without having to drive my truck during the nice weather next season, and do it without using my only dirt bike (the WR-250FY) as a street bike and wear the tires on that bike down quickly.




Yeah, I know the tires on the CF-R450X9 will wear down, too, especially if I use it as my street bike as well as a trail riding bike.


But, I can accept that with one of my bikes if I can keep the other one just for off-road riding, and that's where the WR-250FY and the ol' Pachaug rock n' roll pile come in.


See?


I knew you would.




Anyway, I'll be doing to the CR-F450X9 what I did to the WR-250FY two years ago:


Buy parts to modify it so that it will pass an inspection at the head honcho DMV office and then register it for street use.


I'd like to get that all done by the end of the month.


Stay tuned. ;)




-John

No comments:

Post a Comment