Tuesday, September 20, 2011

331-derful Rides


Yes, folks, riding a motorcycle off-road - even a late model motorcycle equipped with the latest techno-tricks - requires routine maintenance.
You may be surprised to discover how many guys that are supposedly "really into it" dread doing something as easy (and important) as an engine oil change.
Servicing the air filter?
Now, that's really pushing it. ;)

I rode out on the ol' Pachaug rock pile enduro loop again this past weekend, though I rode only on Sunday.
The reason for that was because I woke up on Saturday morning very early for some reason (out of bed at 3:30 am), and by the time riding time came, I felt too tired and lazy and, quite frankly, lacking in concentration to feel good about going.
So, I decided to spend part of the day taking a nice little nap to catch-up on the sleep I missed, and that helped a noticable amount.

Come Sunday, I loaded the ol' WR-250FY Firebreather into the ol' clammy Ford Ranger and met an ol' buddy named Tom out at the rock pile.
I've known Tom for about 20 years, and it was a change to be able to ride with somebody I've actually known for some time versus riding with somebody I'd either just met or only knew for a short time.
The ride was good, and nobody drew blood or hit the ground (that I know of), and Tom and I got a generous helping of all of the lovely rocks adorning the Pachaug loop.
The ride was the average 54 miles, and after we chatted at the loop's end for a while, we went our separate ways.

However, once I was on my own, I felt more energetic than usual, and decided to do another loop.
At first, I though I'd do a shortened version since I want to be back home before dark so I can wash the bike in some daylight, and it was already 3:00 pm, and the sun sets at about 6:50 pm.
A loop, the way I ride it, takes anywhere from 2.5 to 2.75 hours to do, and loading the bike up and getting home is another 45-or-so minutes.

Well, as it turns out, I did ride a slightly different route the second time around, but, the mileage was actually a few tenths of a mile more, totalling 55 miles.
Yeah, the miles can add up without you realizing it.
The ride was good, and had some good feelings, enjoyed my favorite sections, put up with the rocky ones, and called it a day unscathed.
I got home and was able to get the bike washed and tucked away by dusk.
Not too bad.
A good day, and seeing how I skipped eating any kind of lunch at mid-day, I ate a big supper to make up for it. :)

I should try to estimate how many miles and hours running time I have on the WR-250FY, just for curiosity's sake.
I know I'm racking-up the time and miles on the bike, considering each loop is around 55 miles and 2.5 hours.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment