Friday, September 2, 2011

323: Hurricanes Really Blow


On Sunday, August 28th, we had a hurricane come through our neck of the woods, as has been done a few times in my life.
As usual, it really blew.

I went riding on the WR-250FY in the Pachaug rock pile last weekend, although it was a Saturday-only gig.
That's because we got that stupid hurricane on Sunday.
The ride was decent - barely - because it started to rain on-and-off at about the 20 mile mark.
From that point, onward, my main problem was my poor vision due to fogged-up goggles and eyeglasses.
At one point, I had to slow to a crawl of about 5 mph, a far cry from a fun pace out on the ol' rock pile.
At least the last quarter of the loop was fog-free, and I was able to pick the pace back up to not-quite-normal, but good enough considering conditions.
The ground was quite wet, as were all of those lovely rocks and the occasional root.
I, too, was wet, as was my bike.
Well, some people have said I was all wet for some time. ;)

The hurricane on Sunday sucked.
For me, the storm, itself was no problem.
I don't mind a few twiggy branched down in the yard.
It was losing electric power for five fuggin' days that was a pain in the ass.
In fact, the power just came back on today (Friday) at about 11:00am.

Yes, folks, I like having electric lighting, Internet access for my motorcycle racing viewing pleasure, running water that's under pressure via my submersible pump, and a refrigerator to keep my hard-earned food from spoiling.
Food and water are needed to live, lest you forget.

Hmmm.
I wonder how the environmental nuts were feeling once the electric power went down.
I'd assume that they were enjoying the moment just fine and dandy without that unclean and environment-damaging generation of electricity going into their homes (which probably have furnishings made of rain forest wood, too) from all of those nasty power plants.
I'd assume they liked getting a taste of how things were back in the glory days of when the Earth was much cleaner before that evil thing known as mankind got a'hold of it and soiled it (or so says Al Gore, who probably has some rain forest wood furniture in his private jets).
Like around 1692, huh?

Maybe they should shun the electric power coming back on and do without for the rest of their lives, huh?
They could then go on and walk the walk to go along with the silly talk they always have about how we all need to do this and that in order to save the fuckin' planet.
Yeah, that's it.
Those environmental nuts, who think modern ways are not good, can try to live like their silly ancestors of 400 years ago, while me and others who would rather have some electricity and common sense as part of their diet can use it.

Of course, they wouldn't because that's just way too difficult for their pampered, brainwashed, and hypocritical asses to handle.

I'll be riding my WR-250FY in Pachaug tomorrow.
I wonder if there will be any big trees down blocking the trail.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment