Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Psalms 3:16 : Keep Thoust Eyes on the Trail

Well, I did go out onto the Pachaug rock n' roll pile on Sunday with those two other guys I mentioned in my last post.
The quick summary of how things went was good, all-in-all.
We all survived and had a good time and were able to motor out of there on our own power when we left to go home.

I did, however, do a boneheaded move that I'd already learned about years ago, but I was reminded of it during Sunday's ride:
Keep your eyes ahead, not looking behind.
See, the guy from the Internet, who rode the WR-250R, was, as I'd expected, a dirt-riding rookie (although, as I told him, I felt he did very well for a guy who did not know the trails) and we had to stop at the end of each trail section to allow him to catch-up.
At one point while on the trail about 1.5 miles from the start, I looked back to see where he was, and when I turned back around, I ran too close to a small tree, clipped it with my right-side handlebar and front brake lever, and went down.

It wasn't a hard fall, but it did slightly bend my front brake lever, bent my clutch lever a bit more, and made me feel like a bozo for doing that.
I stopped when I got to the end of the trial section and made a clutch cable free play adjustment to compliment my clutch lever's new custom bend, and we carried on.
For the rest of the 50-something miles, I was annoyed by how the clutch lever felt, being bent in too closely to the handlebar grip for my liking.
That's a big deal to me (how my controls are positioned and how they feel), and needless to say, the WR-250FY will have a new one before this weekend's ride, along with new grips which I've already installed.

This last ride also reminded me of something I've already known for decades:
More often than not, I'm better off riding by myself.
That way, I have no concern about what any other riding partner is doing, or where they're at.
It's just me and my bike on the trail.
Sure, I like riding with a buddy or two on occasion, but my occasional buddy ride just passed, so I'm all set for a while before the next one. ;)

Off to jerky jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment