Tuesday, February 22, 2011

270: Backpedaling in Progress

Don't have much time this morning, so I'll just jot down a couple things on my mind.

I saw pics and specs of the 2012 Honda GL-1800 Gold Wing motorcycle, a bike that's intended for what's called touring.
Two figures made me say, "Wow":
Weight of 933 pounds, and a price (base price, at that) of $23,000.
Goddam, I guess I'm out of the loop on what a Golden (Chicken) Wing costs these days.
I already knew they were obscenely heavy. :)

Another thing I read was how the guy that disagreed with my feelings on WR-250RX suspension performance seems to be having a change of heart.
Remember the guy who was waving the WR-250RX flag pretty wildly and giving the bike a big thumbs-up and giving my opinions on the bike a big thumbs-down?
Yeah, the guy who's not even sat on one, let alone having even ridden one, let alone being able to compare it to other bikes.
Well, just yesterday, I read a post he wrote that basically says (in other words):
Maybe I should back off on trying to convince myself the WR-250R is a bike that's as off-road capable as other bikes that are actually designed for that kind of riding to start with, and maybe things like the suspension aren't top-shelf after all.

I got a half-chuckle out of that.
Not because I felt vindicated (I didn't actually, because I knew from the start the guy was all wet and just pumped up with enthusiasm with the thought of maybe-someday-perhaps-in-the-near-future-maybe-next-month-I-hope buying a WR-250R and actually riding one).
But because I wondered what it was he read that made him show this change of heart.

Or, maybe it was a change in medication. :)
As in:
Getting off the good stuff for one shining moment and using your head.
Remember, folks, that this is the guy who complained about some kind of weird feeling that he disliked from a 1989 Kawasaki KDX-200, a bike that weighs 50 pounds less and comes stock with better suspension for off-road use, but yet thought a heavier and more cheaply-suspended WR-250RX would be mucho better for off-road riding, solely because it was a 2008 model motorcycle.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment