Saturday, February 5, 2011

261: Tearin' 'er Down is Fun & Don't Dilly-Dally


Why is John messin' around with one of his bikes, again?
That sounds like something my dad would have asked back in the day.
Not surprisingly, he knew zippo-squat about motorcycles. :)
**********************************************
Well, since we now have less than a month to go before that wonderful month March gets here - the month where these bikes of mine start to get actually ridden, again - it's high time I removed the rear shock absorber from the ol' WR-250FY and send it on in to a suspension shop for a service.
******************************************
Service?
On a shock?
Yeah, Buckwheat, a high-end shock like you see on a high-end motorcycle will have a shock that can be serviced to make just as good as new, and even modified for different performance characteristics, if you so chose.
The shock on the WR-250FY has about 1,200 off-road miles on it (a bit more than one full year of use), so I believe it is money well-spent to have it freshened-up with new oil and nitrogen gas pressure.
I'll be sending it to the same place that overhauled the shock on my WR-250XX:
Go Race Suspension down in Virginia.
I'll ship it out Monday afternoon, and, being realistic, I'd expect to see it back about 10 days later.
****************************************
The "Don't Dilly-Dally" part of this post's title has to do with a website I've been going to for 10 years, now.
(You know, I just remembered that about a week ago marked the 10 year anniversary of me buying my first PC and logging onto the Internet.
I'll need to do a post on that subject.)
It's a place called Motorcycle Daily (which I've seen nick-named Motorcycle Dilly-Dally), and is, basically, a place where the guy in charge will post reviews of bikes, products (like the made-in-China Bell helmet I mentioned a short time ago), and just post general mumblings about what he feels is important.
The product reviews are basically, like any other website or magazine or TV show with them, an advertisement for the product.
Not surprisingly, I honestly can't recall a single bad review on anything I've read about there on Motorcycle Daily.
Well, if the guy posted a review that said, "Bell helmets are junk - don't buy one.", do you really think he'd be invited to get more free products to play with...oops, I mean review in the future?
No way, Jose!
Even the well-known issues with certain bikes he has tested are glossed-over in a sugary-sweet way in order to make it sound like there's no big deal at all.
If a test bike can't be started reliably, instead of saying that the bike is a piece of shit with issues, they'll say that perhaps the jetting wasn't correct for their elevation...of three-and-a-half feet.
*********************************************
Anyway, the reason I brought up this site is because I saw a silly little advertisement, also known as a mini-documentary, on some lady traveling around the world on her BMW GS80-whatever adventure bike.
If you've been keeping up with my posts, you know I think adventure bikes are actually repackaged street bikes with a bit more ground clearance, and all of that heavy (for an off-road bike) weight that is MUCH better off on smooth pavement.
Well, the video showed the lady rider en route with her around-the-world adventure bike trip, smiling for the camera and peeling veggies for din-dins by the campfire at night.
I got a kick out of some of the comments and a couple of the replies of my own comment, which was the first one there, too.
Pretty funny, as some of these adventure bike fans seem to be too touchy.
************************************
**********************************
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment