Sunday, October 21, 2012

403 Wrong Turns

I went out to the second new riding spot today (Sunday) on the ol' WR-250FP, and this time it truly was 100% new for me.
The town was not Putnam but Brooklyn (I guess it's near a brook, eh?), and we hit the trail right from the back yard of one of the guys in our group.
Can't get more convenient than that.
The trails were tight and leaf-covered in most spots while we were in the woods, and there were plenty of tree roots and the occasional well-placed rock to keep you on your toes, or on your ass if you were to screw up.

Even though I didn't know the lay of the land at this riding spot, either, and the trail was practically non existent in many spots (the trail was not well-traveled and it was hard to decipher where the trail actually was and in what direction it went), I still had some fun and pulled off a few good-feeling maneuvers on the bike.
Nobody died or lost any fingers or toes, so I think the other guys enjoyed it, as well.

The bike performed well as always and the suspension balance felt good.
We also hit a few open fields where we opened the throttles as we rode along the outside perimeter, as well as some power line trails (which are basically rough gravel roads following high voltage electric power lines).
The bike felt good while ripping through these sections, too, so I guess I can feel the suspension setup is in the ballpark for the riding I'm likely to do.
As usual, I'm very satisfied with the engine performance and how easy it is to torque through tight woods sections, yet there is ample power on tap for open sections.
This is combined with that great light-weight feel of a mid-displacement bike.
Amazing what 250cc can do for you.

Total mileage was 23, about 20 less than even a short Pachaug enduro loop, but, that's how the cookie crumbles.
It still felt like a decent ride, lengthwise.
The challenge of trying to figure out which way the trail went made up for the shorter mileage, I think. :)

Next weekend (Saturday), I'm planning on going with these guys to yet another new-to-me riding spot.
Stay tuned.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment