Saturday, September 1, 2012

I Got Forked 390 Times


These aren't my forks, but they do look like the ones from my WR-250FP.
Today, I got forked-up by Tom at Nasin Machine.


One characteristic about the WR-250FP that I do belive I've mentioned is that, just as with the WR-250FY before it, the rear suspension works better than the front does.
How, specifically?
In situations where you hit sharp, square-edged (or seemingly square-edged) bumps that require the fork to move very quickly if there is any hope of the bump being absorbed in an acceptable manner, the fork needs help.
Kinda' like driving over a speed bump in a parking lot at a high speed and then feeling the sharp jolt sent through your car, the front fork of the WR-250FP, as delivered off the showroom
(10 years ago  ;)  ), gives a similar result.
That is, bump absorption in this situation could be much better, and after I thought about the fork's performance after last weekend's rides, I decided to have my friend Tom from Nasin Machine revalve the fork to achieve a more supple ride over these pesky (and numerous out on the ol' Pachaug enduro loop) obstacles.

As mentioned in previous posts, the parts that control the flow of the damping oil inside the fork (and rear shock absorber) are able to be changed in order to achieve a suspension setup that works better in certain trail riding situations.
Basically, I brought the forks to Tom and described to him how the forks felt to me, and since he knows from experience what parts need to be changed in order to get the fork performance I want, he went ahead and did just that for me.
Or, he performed what is called a "revalve".

So, I got the forks back today (Saturday), put the bike back together this afternoon, and it is now sitting, ready to go for a Pachaug rock pile ride tomorrow with it's newly revalved fork.
I'll let you know how it works over those sharp bumps that litter the place in numerous spots.

Two other things I did to the bike during the jerk week were to better clean-up and better route my home-made wiring for my taillight/brake light, and I also mounted a mucho better license plate holder, one that angles the plate downward enough to be easily seen from behind while also being much more rugged and apt to withstand thousands of Pachaug miles out in the sticks.

When I got the bike past DMV inspection/registration, one thing I absolutely wanted to do when putting the bike in it's post-inspection setup was to retain the original rear fender which has a taillight already built into it.
Why?
I like the styling, it fit the bike perfectly (since it's the one that belongs there), and the original taillight already has a dual-filament 1157-type bulb in place as well as a bulb socket with an unused third wire that would be capable of illuminating the second brake light filament.
So, all I had to do in order to have a functioning brake light was to connect my rear brake pedal switch to a couple of wires that would power that third tail light bulb socket wire when I step on the rear brake.
Done, uncle Leroy.
Nice, neat, tidy, and using original parts, too.

So, after tomorrow's ride, I'll post back on fork performance and the ride, in general, General.
This weekend is, by the way, Labor Day weekend, so that means Sunday and Monday off from jerk, and I also wonder how many horseback dykes and hikers I may see out there.
Sunday AND Monday rides?

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment