Saturday, September 22, 2012

397 Slippery Rocks

Today (Saturday) was another Pachaug rock pile ride on the ol' WR-250FP, and today was the first ride with the new, softer-rate rear shock spring (the stock spring is 5.0 kg/mm and the new one is 4.8 kg/mm).
So, what was the first impression?
Much better balance between the front and rear, and the bike feels good in that respect.
Not surprisingly, now that the front and rear are sporting softer spring rates, the suspension feels noticeably softer overall.
Not a bad thing, but it did lend a different feel to the bike, a bit more like a softly-sprung luxury car than it used to be.
I'm willing to give it some decent rides in order to see how it really feels.

So, what's the present verdict on the cushier suspension settings?
To be honest, I'm still waiting for a ride that has good conditions where I'll feel good about wicking it up a bit and riding at my usual pace, and today was another bummer as far as that goes.
Today was not only bright and sunny, but it fucking rained sometime overnight and doused all of those lovely rocks and roots with water, making things more slippery.
God, where the hell are the cloudy and dry weekends hiding at?
My feeling during the whole ride was to basically back it down a notch and err on the side of caution and not risk getting out of shape.
I hate it when that happens, but, I listened to my conscious.
So, riding the bike as I'd really like to - and experiencing what the bike can really do and feel like - will have to wait a bit longer.

We must have had some kind of wind storm a few days ago because there were a few spots where tree branches fell down across the trail and I had to find a way around.
Big ones, too.
What I plan on doing tomorrow is driving out there in the truck with my trusty bow saw and clearing that shit out of the way - who knows how long it might be there, otherwise.
So, no ride tomorrow?
Well, the goddamn weather forecast is for more rain overnight and a sunny day, so, it sounds like a replay of today's weather (fucker).
I think the day would be better spent clearing that junk out of the way.
If I change my mind, I'll let you know.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment