Sunday, January 8, 2012

355 Degrees Above Normal


The CRF-450X9 after a recent Pachaug rockpile ride.
Changing the engine oil is not hard, but I read stuff written by other riders that make it sound like you're donating your liver, or some shit like that.
Ridiculous.
For me, doing this every few off-road rides has ALWAYS been the case, so I really don't know what those retards' problems are. ;)

It's Sunday morning, and I am not sure as of yet whether or not I'll be going for a Pachaug enduro loop ride today.
That's because I already went yesterday, and the weather we had yesterday was very warm for January 7th, indeed - a high of 60 degrees F.
Today's weather forecast is for nice conditions, but with a high of around 42.
That's still doable, but I'll have to see how long it takes for the mercury to start breaking the freezing point before I can make a final decision.

Yesterday's ride was a good one, with 55 miles all together.
It had been cold for a few days before, so the morning started out with frozen ground that was in the process of thawing out, something that always makes for damp patches that won't take much force from a front or rear tire to break free and result in a loss of traction.
In other words:
It can be dang slippery, so you best be keeping your eyes peeled and your head on straight.

I kept that in mind the whole ride, but I'm happy to say no mishaps occurred, I puttered slowly past the questionable sections (there were a few places where water was still frozen), and I was still able to ride at pretty much my normal pace through most of my favorite parts.
So, all-in-all, not a bad ride at all, and the warm weather made it all the more enjoyable.
Now, where is that long lost rich uncle who wants to present me with that multi-million dollar trust fund which would allow me to do this stuff 24/7 without having to go to jerk? ;)

This was my firt ride on the bike since the American Honda Product Improvement Campaign was performed, which is a more nicey-nice way of saying the bike needed to have some recall-esque work done to replace some parts having to do with the automatic decompressor.
The bike worked just fine and dandy, ran like a top, and the automatic decompressor is working as it should, allowing either the electric starter motor to easily turn the engine over, or allowing use of the kick starter if you prefer.
So, I'm glad that's out of the way.

Speaking of kickstarting the CRF-450X9:
While it can be done, it sure as heck ain't as easy and enjoyable as the ol' WR-250FY, something that shouldn't be too surprising since the engine displacement is almost twice the size.
The WR-250FY also has both electric and kick starting, but kick starting that bike is so easy, I rarely use the electric starter.
The CRF-450X9 is the opposite of that - kickstarting it takes enough muscle that using the electric starter makes much more sense.
Because of this, the automatic decompressor really needs to be working properly.

Speaking of the ol' Pachaug veteran WR-250FY, it sits here behind me in it's winterized state, and winterizing that bike means putting the battery on an automatic battery charger, changing the oil and oil filter, and running the engine for a few minutes on some Stabil-treated gasoline and then draining that gasoline out of the fuel tank and carburetor.
So, when the time comes to start it, it will start just as easily as if it sat for a couple of days, not a couple of months.
I imagine some time in March will be it's first ride of the season, and between now and then, I plan on the usual chassis lube and having the suspension oil changed in order to start the new season fresh.
Well worth the effort, Lenny.

Last night was the first race of the 2012 AMA Supercross season, and I still haven't watched the race.
It will be repeated on Speed TV this afternoon at 3:30pm, so you can guess what I'll be watching. ;)

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment