Wednesday, January 4, 2012

354 Icicles Hanging Off my Nose


Not really fond of these.
We're having a bout of winter weather right now (it's about 10 degrees F outside this morning), although, thank God, it is supposed to get back up into the 40s starting tomorrow.
All-in-all, so far, our weather this winter ain't been as cold as it was this time last year, so that is a good thing.

I rode the CRF-450X9 this past Sunday and also Monday after jerk, and what made riding on Monday possible was that I had a short day since there was no UPS deliveries running because of their long New Year's holiday weekend.
Must be nice. ;)

Sunday was a good ride, doing about 55 miles all together.
The weather was calm, mostly sunny, and around 50 degrees - not too bad for January.
There was less water standing on the trails than I expected, so that was an added plus.
I felt good, made some decent moves on the bike, the bike worked well, and although I was cautious much of the time from expecting less-than-perfect ground conditions, it felt like a good ride.

Being New Year's Day and on the warmish side, I saw a few groups of people out there walking little Fido, or just taking a nature stroll, or picking their nose, of just looking for a place to be alone so they can take a piss in the woods.
I tend to see folks walking their dogs off any leash, and I can only hope these mutts don't run away from the pinhead owner and go bite somebody approaching.
Those forest dirt roads they're on are still public roads, after all.

Monday was a bit shorter at 47 miles all together.
I cut out about 8 miles because it was colder (around 42 degrees) and didn't feel like having to negotiate the wettest section of the loop, a section of about a mile where it is wet most of the year, only drying out in mid-summer for a couple of months.
Other than that, it was another good-feeling ride out on the ol' Pachaug enduro loop.

I'm bringing the CRF-450X9 into jerk today to have the Product Improvement Campaign (oooooooohh, sounds pretty fancy, eh?) performed to the automatic decompressor.
That is supposed to restore my fair share of legendary Honda reliability, godammit. :)

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment