Sunday, September 8, 2013

Gasoline for $4.29 a Gallon

I went for my latest Sunday Pachaug enduro loop ride today and it was done with the WR-250FP running the stock camshaft timing, the setup that gives more low-end torque at the expense of harder-hitting midrange and top-end power.
It was a good trade as far as I'm concerned because the terrain that makes up the Pachaug loop doesn't require (or allow, unless you are either very lucky or an expert rider with eyesight like a hawk) warp speed in most spots but does reward good low-end torque and tractability.
So, all is well again with the satisfaction regarding the engine's character.
At least this experiment showed me first hand how the bike runs in each specification.

Today's ride was decent, with partly cloudy skies and dry conditions, although there were the few minor water spots that seem to take forever to dry-up.
If I hadn't felt a bit down on mental energy, the ride could have been rated a solid "great", but since I seemed target fixate (stare at) on a few obstacles in the trail that weren't there the last ride instead of simply riding around them, I felt a bit clumsy a few times and had to come to a brief stop to regroup and then carry on.
Nothing bad happened, but it was a bit annoying at the same time.
At least I did have a good run through the pine-needled-whoops-through-the-woods section and at another shorter pine-needled section later in the ride - these did feel good and I rode well.

There was a pesky tree down across the trail mid-way through the first pine-needled section, right where you can jam across some whoops.
I was able to hop over it without taking a detour off the trail, but it is obvious that I have a tree-clearing project for this coming Saturday.  ;)

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment