Sunday, November 11, 2012

408 Trees Down

It's Sunday evening (sucks how 5:30 pm is now called evening since it's already dark) and am done doing the weekend's running around.
I rode on the Pachaug loop yesterday as well as today.
How'd it go?
Read on, Bucky.

During the week, a guy who I met at jerk told me he wanted to go riding out on the Pachaug loop, so who am I to refuse.
We decided to go Sunday morning, and since I hadn't yet been out there on the trails since the stupid hurricane came through the week before, I wanted to ride the loop Saturday in order to learn any trouble spots that might be out there from the hurricane (AKA: Downed trees and big branches blocking the trail).
Well, there were a few trees down, and, wonder of wonders and shit-rotten luck, THREE were down on the whoops through the pine-needled woods section.
Figures it's one of my favorite parts of the whole Pachaug loop.

Well, at least I could simply ride off the beaten trail to get around these mutherfuggers, but somebody's got to get out there with a chain saw and take these things out for good.
They're big enough to where doing it by hand with my bow saw would take hours per tree.
Other than being disgusted at having three blow-downs on my favorite trails, Saturday's ride went pretty well.

Sunday (today) with the new Pachaug rider was OK.
I automatically rode slower than normal because it is, in my opinion, a poor choice to go the normal pace when riding at a spot where a newcomer doesn't know where he's going, unlike the guys I rode with a few weeks ago.  ;)
So, even though that was on my mind, the new guy says he had a great time out there.
There were no mishaps or grim scenes for either of us, I had a decent ride, so all-in-all, I can't complain.

However, now that's done, I want to go it alone next weekend.
I really do prefer that more often than not.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment