Tuesday, June 19, 2012

376 Days in the Year Riding Dirt Bikes

The CRF-450X9, waiting for the next Pachaug enduro loop ride.
Too bad I have to work for a living and to avoid becoming a burden to society, huh?

No, a year doesn't have 376 days in it.
You should know that by now, Lenny.

This past weekend was a great one for weather and for riding the CRF-450X9.
I rode both Saturday and Sunday, and it was quite enjoyable.
Saturday was my typical route out on the Pachaug loop, and it was good for the usual 50 miles.
I went to jerk in the morning and did the usual free-bee for about an hour and a half, and once that pesky stuff was done, it was time to suit-up and dump the clutch!
I rode well, felt good on the bike, had no crashes or heart-stopping moments, and had a good feeling and a good time.
The bike felt and performed as well as usual, I'm happy to say.

Sunday was a bit of a change from the usual route.
I first thought about riding out to the place in Rhode Island called Arcadia Land Management (an intimidating title meant to make you believe that only a select group in the government has the ability to  "manage" a pretty good chunk of "public" land), but as I was driving out there and remembered how boring that place was when I went there a few weeks ago, I decided to do a different different Pachaug enduro loop route.

I parked at the usual spot, but instead of the usual thing of riding the 1.5 miles to the official start of the trails, I rode the street out to the main part of the Pachaug forest (the part where the city folk come in their SUVs to gawk at that green stuff on the ground called grass and to see what the woods looks like with their own eyes and to get away from those supposedly "artistic" murals painted on the sides of brick buildings), down the dirt road through it, out the other side, and out toward my favorite whoops-through-the-pine-needled-woods section.
I rode that section about 5 times, stopped for a water break, rode it one more time, and then basically rode from there along my usual route and back to my parking spot.
Total mileage on Sunday was 54 miles, and it was very enjoyable.

My tires are worn enough to need replacing in order to retain a good feel from the bike, but, since I was told just yesterday at jerk that a few of the guys will be going out on Wednesday after jerk for an informal Pachaug loop ride (along an unspecified route, to me, anyway), I'll wait until Friday night and Saturday morning to change them since I may as well finish-off these worn tires with a Wednesday afternoon/evening ride containing what I suspect may be a fair amount of pavement use.
We'll see how that ride goes, and I'm looking forward to it.

I've decided to sell the fixer-upper 1998 Honda XR-250R I bough last month instead of making repairs, registering it, and riding it.
Why?
I'm gonna' put a chunk of money to paying-off my 2011 Ford Ranger pickup, the very one I (regrettably) bought new last October after some youngster cleaned me out and totalled my 2004 model, and spending dough on getting that bike up and running and insured and registered doesn't seem a very good idea to me right now.
If it weren't for that loan pay-off, then I probably would.
But, I do, so, I won't.
I've got the bike listed in the For Sale forum of one message board, selling for a loss just to liquidate and get rid of it and get at least some of the money back.
I've also sent a pic via e-mail to a guy who has a habit of fixing-up dirt bikes and ordering his repair parts through the shop I work for, so I've got my fingers crossed that somebody will buy this thing and somehow get some enjoyment out of it.
We'll see.

-John


No comments:

Post a Comment