Sunday, December 4, 2011

349 and the Riding Was Fine, Though I Could Have Used More Gas

Well, I decided to take the CRF-450X9 out for today's Pachaug rock pile ride, and I'm glad I did.
The bike worked well, and I had a good ride.

I did make sure I took it for a quick 5 mile spin before I left for Pachaug to make sure all of my work was done properly, and it was.
I could have rode the bike all the way to the riding spot, but, it was awful hard to resist loading the bike up and trucking it there to save those fresh knobby tires for the actual Pachaug ride, not the 13 mile ride on pavement to the riding spot.
You know?

I met with 5 other guys for today's ride, and they all had a good time out there.
There were a couple times that most of them went into the "hero sections", the trails that are pretty dang rocky and wet and rocky.
Rocky, too, and these sections are the most difficult of the whole loop.
But, some guys like that stuff, and I just waited for them at the other side of it.

The CRF-450X9 performed very well, today, I'm pleased to say.
The engine has mucho power and torque, and it allows the common big bore practice of coming through a turn a gear high, opening the throttle on the exit, and just hanging on and enjoying the effortless acceleration on tap.
The new Bridgestone M22/M23 tires were excellent, as usual, and the bike handled well.

It was great having that spankin' new license plate hanging off the back fender informing any tree coppers hiding for an ambush that I'm legit, and with that peace of mind, I could concentrate on having a good ride, which I did.

I found out how far I can go on a tank of gas, and that's 56 miles.
I mean using all of the available gas in the tank, too.
That's about the same mileage I do for a loop, and I was wondering if I should stop to refuel en route or not.
Well, I decided to finish without refueling, and I actually got pretty lucky because I ran out of gas just one tenth of a mile from where I park my truck.
Lucky me, huh?
At least it only took a couple minutes to push the bike the rest of the way back, and now I know what my fuel range is.
Looks like, unless I buy a larger 3 gallon fuel tank (the present fuel tank is 2 gallons), I'll need to gas-up along the way from now on with the CRF-450X9.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment