Saturday, June 18, 2011

308 Winchester

No, I don't own one of those, but it makes a good title, doesn't it?

I just got done doing my typical pre-weekend-riding maintenance on the WR-250XX, and, in fact, I'm now waiting to see if an old riding (and school) buddy is going to have time to go for a ride before it gets dark.
I'll wait until about 5:00 pm, and if I don't get the call, I'll assume he is busy and I'll hit the road solo.

One of the things I did to my bike this afternoon was install a new fuel pump, which sits inside the bottom of the fuel tank.
Why did I change the fuel pump?
Some 2008 WR-250X and WR-250R models have been known to have fuel pumps that were made not-quite right, and the fuel pump can act-up when the weather and the bike get hot.
If the fuel pump gets hot enough, it can quit working, stop the engine, and you then can't restart the engine until the fuel pump cools down enough.

I had this happen to me a couple times with the WR-250RX I rode last year.
Once the bike cooled for about 45 minutes, it started and ran, but, since that's a drag, I decided to order a new fuel pump and make the change before my luck ran out when I'd rather not have that.
Replacement fuel pump are made correctly, so, wish me luck. :)

An added bonus I discovered when I changed the pump in my WR-250RX last year is that the new pump actually made the engine run a little bit stronger.
I wouldn't mind if that's the case with my WR-250XX, too.
I'll find out in a couple of hours, I guess. :)

Anyway, I'm so glad that it's the weekend.
Jerk is typically busy this time of year, and I'm not getting any younger.
Just don't tell anybody, though. ;)

Edit:
My buddy just called (3:57 pm), so it looks like we're riding together for the first time in about 5 years.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment