Saturday, August 25, 2012

388 Jets in the Sky


To jet, or not to jet.
That is the question.
Where is the question mark if it's THE question?


It's Saturday evening, and I'm relaxing with a big bowl of spaghetti as I type this bloggy post.
I went out onto the ol' Pachaug enduro loop today (with a nice and shiny new CT. motorcycle license plate attached to the rear fender of the WR-250FP) intending on doing some more carburetor jetting experimentation.
As it turned out, all of my experimentation boiled down to opening the fuel screw back out to 3-and-a-quarter turns out (close to where it was on the last ride), and that was that.
Basically, I felt that while the carb jetting and throttle response probably isn't as good as it could be, it certainly was just fine and dandy for riding and riding a bike that ran pretty darn good, too.
So, I just left well enough alone with that.
Sometime soon (probably during the jerk week sometime in the near future), I'll try a larger leak jet in order to reduce the amount of gas in the accelerator pump squirt.

Another thing or two that is new is the FMF Powerbomb header and matching FMF Q4 muffler I installed on the bike last night before beddy-bye time.
This is the same brand and model of exhaust parts I used on the CRF-450X9 and the WR-250FY, and as with those other bikes, the WR-250FP now weighs a couple of pounds less and runs even better without being loud enough to be heard in the next county.
The stock muffler is pretty plugged-up in order to meet wicked-low decibel ratings, but with the FMF items, the bike is now breathing well.

I parked the truck near my favorite pine-needled whoop section, made a few laps around it, adjusted the fuel screw on the carb, and then decided to venture out and ride at least most of the Pachaug loop since I was no longer tinkering with the carburetor.
I rode out to the point that is approximately the 15 mile mark on my usual loop route and took it from there, riding the usual route from that point and including the southern part of the loop.
When I got back to the truck, the odometer read 41 miles so that was a decent ride considering I didn't even intend on doing much more than playing with carb settings.
The bike is feeling more familiar to me now that I've ridden it three times, now, and the feel of the bike is very good, indeed.
I do like the steel frame, for sure, and the rear suspension is very supple and does a great job on all of that typical New England rock n' roll terrain we have around here.

As with the ol' WR-250FY, and especially now since putting the FMF exhaust on the bike, the low-end torque and pulling power is very, very good, and combining that with the forgiving nature and bump-absorbing nature of the steel frame, the light-weight feel of the bike, easy handling, and great clutch lever feel and action, this bike really feels good while negotiating the trails.
While climbing numerous rocky hills out on the southern portion of the loop, I thought to myself more than ounce that I'm really liking this WR-250FP.
I'm glad I made the switch.  :)

I'm also to the point to where I no longer need my route sheet for the southern loop, too.

When I first pulled in to the parking spot today I saw another pickup truck there, and a few minutes later a guy riding a late-model KTM 200cc 2-stroke pulled in.
A few minutes later as he rested on his tailgate, I went over and chatted about bikes and the Pachaug loop.
Nice guy.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is another normal Pachaug loop in the usual route.
I'll post results of that ride.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment