Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I Saw 366 Pieces of Horse Crap


I'd bet that these two lovebirds don't have to clean up after ol' Bessy and Velvet.
Yes, folks, a pile of horse shit on the ground, left behind from when a horse went by, is the less glamorous part of riding a big animal with a pea-sized brain.
Just like back in the olden days.

Well, the weather this past weekend was rain on Saturday, but Sunday was good.
The ground was damp from the previous day's rain, but enough water had dried-up so things weren't sloppy wet, the dust was held down, and aside from being a bit cautious in the shady areas looking for damp (and slippery) tree roots, traction was very good, indeed.
As it turned out, my Sunday Pachaug rock pile ride was not too bad, even though I didn't feel as good as I usually do.
At least the bike felt as good as it usually does.

One of the prime reasons (actually, THE reason) the bike felt good was because i was using my favorite Bridgestone M23/M604 tires.
These tires feel so much better than the cheap junk I tried last weekend, there is simply no comparison.
It's like trying to compare eating a meal prepared by a famous chef versus one prepared by some drunk slob who can't see straight.
Wait.
It's even more obvious than that.
It's like comparing the quality of life of a guy who is in perfect health versus a guy who just took a trip to the electric chair.
Yeah, that's it.

The tires performed just as they always did and should do, absorbing all of those sharp hits and jolts littering the ground, as well as gripping the ground in excellent fashion at the same time.
It is easy to forget (or not even put any thought into) how important tires are for the feel of your motorcycle, and I often see guys with bikes that have completely shit tires mounted.
Hmm.
They must like that kind of stuff.

So, although the bike worked well, I wasn't feeling too well.
It seems that every year around this time, I feel effected by something that makes me feel noticeably down both physically and mentally.
On Sunday's ride, I got tired sooner and I didn't have the usual concentration and coordination that I typically would out there.
That's too bad, because the bike and conditions of the ground and weather and visibility were good.
I didn't crash, but I did screw-up a rocky hill climb while on the way back toward the gravel lot where the Pachaug enduro loop starts and ends, closing the throttle when I should keep it open, coming to a jolting halt, and having to collect my wits and start the climb again from a stop (not always fun).
That was because I just couldn't think and concentrate on that I was doing and needed to do in the usual manner.
I think that's often called an "off day".
With any luck, this weekend will be better.

Now that April is here, the dirt roads leading through the heart of the Pachaug state forest are open to cars and trucks, and that means big pickup truck towing big horse trailers.
These folks will drive out the the spot in the forest where they park their rigs, unload their horses, and ride down the dirt roads and certain trails.
Even though I'll always be courteous and pull over if I'm approaching a horse rider head-on (or slow or stop and wait for them to pull over if I'm approaching them from the rear), it is a drag because the dirt bike I'm riding isn't something the big animal with the little brain likes.
These horses get spooked easily, and I'm always wondering if the guy or girl riding it will get bucked around by a horse getting all frisky because it's scared by the sight and sound and smell of my CRF-450X9, not to mention the big possibility of the rider copping an attitude because I'm suddenly there spoiling his or her (usually it's her) serenity on National Velvet.
It's just another reason why I personally think horses suck.
I couldn't imagine a more boring way to spend the day, folks, and I've tried it.
Gim'me a dirt bike any day, please.

Off to jerk,
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment