Saturday, February 4, 2012

358: Hardly Ridden. Many New Parts


I will probably be down to one bike in the near future, the bike in the above pic.
Why?


After two fun-filled seasons of Pachaug rock pile riding, I've decided to sell the trusty WR-250FY.
And why is that?
I don't really need two bikes, I've ridden it a fair bit already and got to know it very well, I now have a 450cc bike like I originally wanted in the first place, and, I sure as hell could use the money in my savings account in case I have my rainy day. ;)





Yes, nothing lasts forever, but instead of some drunken, stoned hip-dip rock star singing about the cold November rain falling into his bloodshot eyes, I'm talking about doing more riding on the WR-250FY.
Even though just a few days ago I had my ol' buddy Tom at Nasin Machine take a second crack at improving the front fork valving (and I rode it just three days ago after jerk testing the results), I've looked myself in the mirror and decided to do what I think is best:
Now that I have a 450cc dirt bike (CRF-450X9), I can sell the WR-250FY and get some of that money back into my savings account.

I had a lot of fun riding the bike over two years, but since I was really looking for a 450 when I found it, and now I have a 450, may as well complete the process and ler 'er go.
I hope the bike ends up in the hands of a competent guy.
It deserves it, nice bike that it is.
I had fun with it.

I rode the CRF-450X9 out on the ol' Pachaug loop today, and it felt great, indeed.
The weather was nice, I didn't feel cold, I felt good, and the bike felt great underneath me and worked very well, especially the fine suspension and that awesome power and torque at the command of the throttle grip.
THIS is why men ride big-bore dirt bikes, folks - all of that power and torque is immensely enjoyable and it's a blast hoisting the front wheel skyward as you leap headlong into a rough section, the bike being worked beneath you.
Love it. :)

Both tires are worn enough to warrant replacement soon (and I'd actually change them before the next ride it I were not still in my winter pay cut season at jerk, so, I'm on a budget), but, I'll probably have to milk a few more rides out of them.
What tires will I buy?
Well, more Bridgestones, of course!
Those old-school M23 and M22 are hard to beat.
Period.
Can't be beat in my book, actually, except that with the 450cc bike, the M22 rear doesn't last more than three rides before it starts feeling worn.
Sure, I could still ride the bike with it, but a new one works so well, having a worn one is very noticable, especially when cranking on the gas with the bike leaned over on flat ground.
The M604 rear is a worthy tire for the rear, too, and it seems to last a fair bit longer, but, the trade-off is that it just doesn't offer the same level of performance as the M22 rear on all that hard terrain out there on the Pachaug loop.
Close, but no cigar, but the increased life expectancy makes it a good tire worth using.
It's a trade-off.

Tomorrow, the 5th round of the 2012 AMA Supercross Series, an FIM World Championship Event, is on TV at high noon.
Hope it's a decent race like last week's was, and not a snoozer like the first three were.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment